When you wake up in the morning, your body is likely feeling a bit stiff – from what was hopefully a great night’s sleep. To give your body a bit of a stretch, you don’t even need to get out of bed.
Your mattress can be much more comforting, allowing you to sink gently into the pose and feel supported. To make the poses even more comfortable you might want to use the pillows and blankets you have around you.
Try these 7 poses right as you wake up in the morning.
1. Butterfly Fold – Bring the soles of your feet together, and drop the knees out to the side. Melt forward. Stacking the fists, the palms, or props pillows to support the head and chest. Relax the shoulders, hips, and spine. After 5-10 deep breaths here, push in to the hands to lift up.
2. Wide-Legged Child’s Pose – Come to kneel. Bring the big toes together and take the knees wide as comfortable in the morning. Fold forward, resting the head on the palms or turning to one cheek.
3. Spinx – Slide on to the belly, with the forearms in front of you. Lift the chest, roll the shoulders back. Expand and open through the heart.
4. Quad Stretch – Bend the left knee. Reach back for the foot and pull it in. Stay up in sphinx, or relax head and chest down. Stretching in to the quads, thighs, hip flexors, and knee. After a while, release the foot and switch sides.
5. Half Butterfly Side Bend – Come to a seat. Bring the right heel in, extending the left leg out. Bring the right hand to the low back. Use the left hand or fist to support the head as you bend sideways. Getting a nice opening in the sides and the hips here. Lift up and switch sides.
6. Straddle Fold – Stretch both legs out. Fold directly down into the center. Stack fists, palms or pillows to support and find comfort in the pose. Bend the knees if hamstrings are feeling tight.
7. Seated Twist – Take a comfortable seat. Reach the arms up overhead. As you exhale, bring right hand to left knee and left hand back behind you. Opening the chest to the left side. Inhale back to center. Repeat to the right side.
Prefer to be gently guided through these poses in a 10 minute practice? Press play on the video below.
Yoga with Kassandra – Disclaimer Please consult with your physician before beginning any exercise program. By participating in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Yoga with Kassandra from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of Yoga with Kassandra’s negligence.